What I Need to Set-up a Monnit Wireless Sensor Network
imonnit, setup, sensor networks, WSN, wireless sensor network, standard wireless network, USB wireless gateway, MoWi sensor, installation,
This tech-tip explains what you need to set-up a Monnit Wireless Sensor Network. Follow these instructions in order for a quick and error free setup.
To deploy a standard Monnit wireless sensor network, you will need a MonnitLink™ wireless gateway and any Monnit wireless sensor(s) needed for your application.
If you're using Monnit Wi-Fi (MoWi) sensors, no Monnit wireless gateway is needed. However, you will need to have an existing Wi-Fi network in range of the Wi-Fi sensors for them to communicate with the iMonnit online sensor monitoring system. Monnit Gateway Software
If using a MonnitLink™ USB wireless gateway, you will need to have a Windows PC with Internet access to transmit the sensor data to iMonnit, the online sensor monitoring system. (Alternately you can use Monnit Express to gather sensor data locally without an internet connection. USB drivers for the MonnitLink™ Wireless Gateway
To start, you will need to create an account through the iMonnit online portal at www.imonnit.com.
(Note: Do Not Plugin Your Wireless Gateway or Insert Batteries Into Sensors Until You Follow Complete This Process.)
- From the sites main page, click the "Get Started Here" button on the left side of the page to create your account.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to enter your account and contact information.
- You will be prompted to create your first sensor network. Simply enter a name for your network.
- Next you will be prompted to add a wireless gateway and wireless sensors to your network.
- Enter the information from your MonnitLink™ gateway then click the "Assign Gateway" button.
- Enter the information from your first wireless sensor then click the "Assign Sensor" button.
- On the next screen, enter a name for the wireless sensor and use the drop down to tell us how you are going to be using the wireless sensor. (This allows us to suggest settings for your sensor.) When finished, click the "Continue" button.
- Repeat these steps to add any additional wireless sensors to your network. When you have finished setting up your iMonnit account, setup your wireless gateway.
- For USB gateways you will need to download and install the MonnitLink USB Gateway Driver and Monnit Gateway Application.
- For Ethernet gateways use an Ethernet data cable to connect the gateway to your Internet router. Then connect the AC power adapter to power on the device.
- For Cellular gateways, make sure the gateway has been activated on a cellular data plan if it was not purchased through Monnit with a Monnit data plan. Then connect the AC power adapter to power on the device.
Once the wireless gateway has been setup and is active, insert batteries into your wireless gateways to begin using them.
(Note: Make sure that the wireless sensors are at least 3 feet away from the wireless gateway to ensure RF connectivity.)