When Managing Assets, Plan B is as Critical as Plan A
In our business, when you read a headline that sounds like tires screeching to a stop or makes your heart sink into your stomach, you must read the story: Major Research Lost After Custodian Flips Switch on Lab Freezer.
No matter how often we hear about the tragedy of an ultralow temperature (ULT) or -80°C freezer failing, we feel terrible for the owners and managers of the spoiled assets. Or, in this case, because someone mistakenly turned off a malfunctioning ULT freezer, ruining valuable million-dollar, decades-old research assets, we wholeheartedly wish we could have done something to help.
This was the initial compelling and now enduring idea behind each of our 80+ sensors. We want to provide real-time, actionable data so that you can make critical decisions to solve problems.
Consider the following two ULT freezer monitoring scenarios:
- Your plan A to protect valuable assets in a ULT freezer may be to get one with built-in sensors and alarms. Some freezers only have local alarm systems, meaning they may not send an alert to your smartphone. Whether built-in or only local alarming, Monnit can provide a backup monitoring solution for both cases.
- You could also get suitable ULT freezers without embedded sensing tech but with added Monnit Remote Monitoring Solutions. Either way, we can be your monitoring plan A and plan B.
We’re talking about research lab freezer monitoring, but we can help nearly any industry or use case where primary and backup sensing solutions are essential.
Final thought: Our good friend and neuroscientist, Tamara Stawicki, Ph.D., @StawickiLab, alerted us to this story via Twitter. So follow her lead and do a good deed. Help your friends ensure they put both plans in place.Read more about it at NBC News.
Beta Test Our New ALTA® MultiStage Thermostat
The new ALTA® MultiStage Thermostat controls conventional, heat pump, and dual fuel HVAC systems with up to three heating and two cooling stages. It features an integrated motion sensor to auto-detect an occupied area or room and enter an energy-saving state when they’re not.
The thermostat is intrinsically tamper-proof since you can only control it via our password-protected iMonnit cloud-based platform. This prevents adjustments by unauthorized parties. The simple front panel interface provides mode and status information via multi-color LEDs.
Easily Manage the Most Common HVAC Systems
- Remotely set and monitor your HVAC system.
- Detect motion in occupied/unoccupied modes.
- Prevent unauthorized adjustments or tampering.
- Prevent changes with the configuration lockout jumper.
- Run without a gateway—only required to configure and monitor.
Let us know at the link below if you’d like to be a key part of our beta test for the new thermostat.
- BOMA 2023—Here We Come
- Monnit: Inside the IoT June 2023
- Monnit Wins 2023 IoT Evolution Asset Tracking Award
- The New iMonnit: More Functionality, More Control, More Growth
- Monnit News Briefs June 2023
- Monnit Wins a 2023 Pandemic Tech Innovation Award
How to Create a New Rule: Device Inactivity Status
Do you want alerts on your smartphone when an ALTA Sensor detects a threshold breach? Then, Rules in iMonnit are essential for IoT remote monitoring. The Device Inactivity Status Rule alerts you or a teammate when a sensor is inactive for more than a specific number of minutes.
In the brief How to Create a New Rule: Device Inactivity Status video, you will learn to configure it, like other Rules, in six easy steps:
- Create a Rule/Select Device Inactivity Status
- Pick a Device
- Choose a Condition
- Set up Tasks
- Name the Rule
- Rule Complete
If you haven’t become a Monnit YouTube Subscriber, do it today and stay current on our recent videos and video library.